Did you do the engine conversion yourself?
I wonder how difficult it is to register a 40 year old car in Singapore?
I know they are very strict on cars there.. and levy a high tax on new ones..
I thought you could not have a car older than 10 years there?
Sadly... it was love at first sight - so I probably paid too much!
It was the lack of rust (vs 1989 SWB W460) that was the critical decision point.
Plus it was diesel - unlike my London 230GE auto that just soaked up petrol.
My wife just took delivery of our Malaysian V8 4700cc Landcrusier so the missus did not complain too much when I bought G2.
I bought it with original engine and manual gearbox - with specific sales agreement that they would change to OM603 engine and auto gearbox.
In this particular country some things move slow. So 8 months later I physically get my vehicle, even though sold and registered to me in January 2024.
So the engine conversion is done by magic mechanics in Malaysia.
Down side is... I now need a letter from Mercedes Benz (UK, or Malaysia or Germany) confirming the specification of the replacement engine (capacity and power and Mercedes origin).. it should be possible. But anything is worth the trouble... to get a vehicle in Singapore.... that others pay £500,000 for the same pleasure to drive. (OK their's is 40 years newer....)
I have had some experience with old cars. (many bad and expensive). Particular rusty buckets was my 1964 MG Midget around 2010 and my UK imported 1972 Series 3 Landrover LWB (around 2012). Mercedes (S, G, E) also rust after 35 years - but in specific areas that can be welded up easily and painted. I had an old commercial Vito Van... but it was categorically the worst.
I love the G2... because - it has comfortable coil suspension unlike 8 previous Series 2/3/lightweight Landrovers. And potentially doors that close and lock and windows that open and close. This week I fitted the complete New aircon system. Cost was MYR 3500 = £625.00. (yep... no typo).
It is also a handsome truck with schoolboy "Bragging rights" for the "private school pickup/run" where everyone else has new Alphards, Teslas, Porsche SUVs, Mercedes SUVs... all 35 years newer than G2. The Malaysian princess comes (to our pre-prep school) with two bodyguard car escorts and she is driven in her large US Suburban.
just wanted to introduce myself quickly. I'm from Esperance (Western Australia) and had this W461.343 for nearly a year now. Using this vehicle for camping, overlanding and gold prospecting trips. I fitted Scheelmann seats, Koni Raid 90 shocks as well as a set of Hutchinson beadlock rims. I'm currently in the process of setting up my canopy as I'm going to spend a month travelling the northern part of WA around easter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavHelme wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2025 11:34 pm
Welcome
She's an absolute beauty!
And well suited to the job in hand I assume...?
Gav
Hi Gav,
this is my second G - Wagon after 15 years. After I got discharged from the army (in Germany), I had the chance to buy a SWB 240GD which was my first car. In 2013, I decided to take a year off and go travelling in Australia, where I ended up staying. I always had the idea to buy a G - Wagon again and then had a bit of luck and this 2017 G300 fell into my lap. Absolutely love it. For 10 years I had a VDJ79 series Landcruiser as a company vehicle and in comparison, the G is a lot better in many aspects. The auto transmission is superb, there is a lot less noise inside the cab on highway speeds, and the long wheelbase as well as coil springs are second to none on long corrugated tracks, gravel roads, or when towing a trailer.
Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to participating in this forum!
I think it is a time to finally introduce myself after a while checking community from a distance. I am not a G-Driver, but I am definitely a big G-Fan. It is from heart not from height of 198cmm tall. The knowledge, the passion and most of info is driven mainly by #GavHelme and his passion to brand but mine also goes back a while with quite big love in my heart for W123, W124 & W126 era.
My history with MB goes back to years of being a co-pilot as a kid when father owned his W123 200D. We had 4 diesel versions of them in space over the 10 years. It must have been theirs fumes and fossil fuel that injected into my veins and stayed there since. Now I got a pleasure to represent brand by working with Gavin along with me driving my very own W124 95' "old green lady" in 300D version.
I do strongly hope to one day to join the group and actually be the owner who drive proudly MB 4x4 off-roader across those lovely places in the world like some of you. Until then I really try to put some effort and time where possible to admire and apricate every aspect of the MB brand and its amazing heritage. Let me share with you with few outdated but my favourites of my weekender. Simple fun, good run and needing some TLC, but love every second near her. I hope one one to be able to capture same passion and mad dedication to G-Family like some of you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.